Do you have an idea for a product or service that will change lives?
Engineers, designers, developers, innovators, entrepreneurs, or anyone with a good idea – we want to hear from you.
Your idea could be a simple product that makes an everyday task easier for a person living with dementia. You may have an innovative idea for a new service or way of working for care home staff.
To bring your idea to life, our programme offers a 12-month partnership including:
- investment up to a value of £100,000
- an expert innovation buddy from Alzheimer’s Society to develop their idea during a 12-month partnership
- an opportunity to test your product or service with people affected by dementia.
Who can apply?
We are looking for applications from teams or individuals at any stage of the product development journey, from a great idea that needs testing through to proven products that need a push to maximise their reach.
By backing passionate people with innovative ideas, we’ll accelerate the development of new products and services with the potential to benefit thousands of people.
How do I apply?
The Accelerator Programme will open for the next round of applications from Wednesday 29 September 2021.
Please note the application form, project partnership plan and budget template linked below are due to be revised for 2021, but can be used for reference in the meantime.
- Create a two-minute video introducing yourself and your idea for a product or service. Your video doesn’t need to be professional – a recording from a smartphone uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo would be suitable.
- Download and complete the application form (.pdf) and include a link to your video. Make sure you’ve thought about the details of your idea, and really focus on the benefits for people affected by dementia.
- Fill in our project partnership plan (.xlsx) and budget template (.xlsx) to outline how you will work and forecast how you will use the investment across 12 months.
- Submit your application via email to our Innovation team at firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Accelerator Programme application’ in the subject line. Attach your completed application form, project partnership plan and budget template. Please include your name (or your team’s name) in the file name for all three documents.
How will my idea be reviewed?
Alzheimer’s Society will review and shortlist applications in November 2021. Shortlisting will be based on a number of criteria, such as:
- Originality of the product or service
- Impact on people affected by dementia
- Desirability and feasibility of the product or service for people affected by dementia
- Financial sustainability of the product or service.
The shortlist will then be invited to interview by a panel including people affected by dementia and industry experts who will decide which applicants to accept into the programme.
Successful applicants will be informed in December 2021.
Alzheimer’s Society will work closely with successful applicants to establish the terms of our investment in order to ensure our Accelerator Programme remains sustainable and can continue to invest in ideas that will help people affected by dementia.
How will Alzheimer’s Society support successful applicants?
We know that bringing a great idea to life and making it grow is not just about the money.
In addition to financial support, each successful applicant will be assigned a buddy from our Innovation Team to guide you through the process of bringing your idea to life.
Your Innovation Team buddy will help you benefit from the depth of knowledge and experience held by people affected by dementia, our staff and volunteers.
Read the full list of frequently asked questions (.pdf)
In this webinar we hear from Natasha Howard-Murray, Senior Innovator from Alzheimer’s Society who shares details of the Programme, and previous award winners Jane Sibley and Cathy Treadaway who will discuss their projects, and advice for applicants. There will also be a chance for you to have your questions about the programme answered.
Visit funding web page