NIHR Advanced Fellowships are currently open for application. Download the Guidance notes and apply below.
The Advanced Fellowship is for those at a post-doctoral level and aimed at several specific points of a researcher’s career development.
The fellowship is between 2 and 5 years and can be completed on full-time or part-time basis. Between 50% and 100% whole time equivalent (WTE).
Advanced Fellowships will be available with a ‘clinical academic’ option whereby clinical applicants will have the option to request up to 40% of their time be dedicated to clinical service/development which would be covered by the Fellowship.
When Should You Apply?
The NIHR Advanced Fellowship is aimed at people at the following points of their career :
- Have recently completed or about to be awarded a PhD but haven’t yet established yourself as an independent researcher
- Establish yourself as independent researchers or already established as independent researchers, but not yet recognised as an international leader in a field.
- Be looking to transition into applied health research from a basic science background or those looking to re-establish their research career following a significant career break.
- Be looking to undertake innovative knowledge mobilisation (to support the more effective use of research knowledge) whilst simultaneously researching implementation processes and impacts.
If you don’t fit with one of these please contact the NIHR Academy office who will be happy to discuss your proposed application with you.
Are You Eligible?
To be eligible for an NIHR Advanced Fellowship you must:
- Proposed host must be an English (or a participating devolved nation) HEI, NHS body or other provider of health and/or care services.
- Applicants must hold a relevant PhD or MD, or have submitted their thesis for examination at the time of application. Applicants must have been awarded their PhD or MD by the time they attend interview.
- Individuals must not already hold a Chair at the point of application.
- For clinical academic applicants only: completion of relevant pre-registration training.
Round 2 Stage 1 of the NIHR Advanced Fellowship is now open!
We are now taking applications for Round 2 of the NIHR Advanced Fellowship.
For further details before you apply, please download the Guidance Notes.
The deadline for applications is 1pm 4 June 2019.
The NIHR has partnered with a number of charitable organisations to offer jointly funded NIHR-Charity Partnership Fellowships.
For Round 2 of the Fellowships Programme (April 2019), Partnerships Fellowships are available at the Advanced level with the following charity partners:
- Castang Foundation
- Chartered Society of Physiotherapy Charitable Trust
- Moorfields Eye Charity
- MS Society
- The Dunhill Medical Trust
Jointly funded Partnership Fellowships:
- allow researchers the opportunity to maintain and build a relationship with both the NIHR and Charity Partner.
- enable researchers to engage with and receive valuable input from patient groups, making the most of the public and patient engagement/involvement opportunities available.
- provide greater research exposure through a variety of media and communication channels.
The Guidance Notes contain further details regarding the specific eligibility criteria for each charity partner (in addition to the standard eligibility criteria), the level of award available and the contact details for the relevant charity.
We encourage all applicants interested in applying for a jointly funded Partnership Fellowship to contact the relevant charity partner to discuss their research area of interest before they apply.
Please note; all other queries about the application process should be directed to the NIHR Academy.
For Further Information
Call: 0113 532 8410
Email: Academyemail@example.com, With the subject Fellowships
Visit funding web page