NIHR Doctoral Fellowships are currently open for application. Download the Guidance notes and apply below.
The NIHR Doctoral Fellowship is a three year full-time award that supports individuals to undertake a PhD in an area of NIHR research. This Fellowship may also be taken up on a part-time basis of between 50% and 100% whole time equivalent (WTE).
Clinical applicants are able to include up to 20% clinical time as part of the Fellowship, to ensure the maintenance of their clinical competence whilst undertaking the Fellowship.
Are you eligible?
To be eligible for an NIHR Doctoral Fellowship you must:
- Complete relevant pre-registration training. (For clinical academic applicants)
- Complete first degree. (For non-clinical applicants)
- Proposed an English based only HEI, NHS body or other provider of health and/or care services host.
- Be intending to register for and complete a PhD.
- Where already registered for a PhD (or MPhil with transfer to PhD), the applicant should not have been registered for more than 12 months at 100% WTE by the time the award starts.
There are two application rounds per year. You can apply for a Doctoral Fellowship now for Round 2.
For further details before you apply, please download the Guidance Notes.
The deadline for applications is 18 June 2019.
The NIHR is also partnering with a number of charitable organisations to offer jointly funded Partnership Fellowships at both Doctoral and Advanced (post-doctoral) levels. To find out more click here.
The NIHR has partnered with a number of charitable organisations to offer jointly funded NIHR-Charity Partnership Fellowships.
For Round 2 of the Fellowships Programme (April 2019), Partnerships Fellowships are available at the Doctoral level with the following charity partners:
- Chartered Society of Physiotherapy Charitable Trust
- Kidney Research UK
- Moorfields Eye Charity
- Muscular Dystrophy UK
- Parkinson’s UK
Jointly funded Partnership Fellowships:
- allow researchers the opportunity to maintain and build a relationship with both the NIHR and Charity Partner.
- enable researchers to engage with and receive valuable input from patient groups, making the most of the public and patient engagement/involvement opportunities available.
- provide greater research exposure through a variety of media and communication channels.
The Guidance Notes contain further details regarding the specific eligibility criteria for each charity partner (in addition to the standard eligibility criteria), the level of award available and the contact details for the relevant charity.
We encourage all applicants interested in applying for a jointly funded Partnership Fellowship to contact the relevant charity partner to discuss their research area of interest before they apply.
Please note; all other queries about the application process should be directed to the NIHR Academy.
For Further Information
Call: 0113 532 8410
Email: Academyemail@example.com, With the subject Fellowships
Visit funding web page