Research Project Grants
For researchers based at universities, institutions of higher education or registered charities with university-equivalent research capacity, to undertake an innovative and original research project.
The maximum grant value is £500,000.
Research Project Grants may be held for up to five years.
Fields of study
Applications will be considered in all subject areas except:
- studies of disease, illness and disabilities in humans and animals
- research that is intended to inform clinical practice or the development of medical applications
We exclude these areas because substantial funding is available from other sources for applied medical research; the Trust’s priority is to support investigations of a fundamental nature.
Similarly, because of the availability of alternative sources of funding, the following types of research are also ineligible:
- research of which advocacy forms an explicit component
- policy-driven research where the principal objective is to assemble an evidence base for immediate policy initiatives
- research which is aimed principally at an immediate commercial application
- projects in which the balance between assembling a data bank or database and the related subsequent research is heavily inclined to the former
- projects in which the main focus is on capacity building, networking, or the development of the skills of those involved
If applicants are uncertain about eligibility, they are encouraged to telephone or email the Trust before submitting an application.
Closing dates are the same each year
21 March, 4pm
Decision: mid July
1 September, 4pm
Decision: early December
1 December, 4pm
Decision: end March
Visit funding web page