The proportion of the population with Dementia is growing, and as such no matter what your role in health and social care, you are likely to have to provide support or care for people with dementia.
This module offers you the opportunity to gain in-depth knowledge and understanding of dementia and to develop specialist skills in providing care for people living with dementia and their families.
You will be introduced to the principles of dementia care and develop a range of interpersonal and communication skills which will facilitate the delivery of professional, effective and compassionate care.
During the course you will engage in problem-based learning in an inter-professional learning context and have the opportunity to reflect on the integration of what you learn into your professional practice.
Learning outcomes – After the module you will be able to:
- Understand the principles of person-centred dementia care and how to apply these in practice.
- Demonstrate a range of interpersonal and communication skills to enable positive and compassionate interactions with people with dementia, their families and carers.
- Understand the concept of health and wellbeing in dementia care practice and the effect on the person with dementia, their families and carers.
- Identify and apply strategies to enhance collaborative working with multi-professional groups, people with dementia, their families and carers.
The module is ideally suited for those who want to promote good practice and facilitate practice-based change within their organisation, or for people who want to go onto undertake a specialist role in dementia care.
Module Outline – Topics covered include:
- Person and family centred care
- A public health perspective
- Collaborative practice and multi-professional working
- Life story work
- Psychosocial interventions: meaningful activity and living well with dementia
- Understanding behaviours that challenge: rights, risks and restraint free care
- Dementia friendly environments
- Involving people with dementia in research and service development.
3000 word essay
( https://www.essex.ac.uk/short-courses/hs607/6/person-centred-dementia-care )