Terms & Conditions for Dementia Researcher Website
The NIHR Dementia Researcher website reserves the right to move or change its website URLs at any time in order to meet changing business needs and to continually improve its online service. External websites link to the NIHR Dementia Researcher website at their own risk. We do not encourage deep linking but recommend linking to section homepages, which are less likely to move or change.
The names, images and logos identifying dementiaresearcher.dementiaresesearcher.nihr.ac.uk are proprietary marks of the NIHR and the Department of Health. If you wish to copy or use the Dementia Researcher or NIHR logo, you must get prior approval from the copyright manager by contacting the NIHR on firstname.lastname@example.org
Tell us how and why you wish to use our logos. Please include your contact details: name, address, telephone number, fax number and email.
The dementiaresesearcher.nihr.ac.uk website and material relating to Government information, products and services (or to third party information, products and services), is provided ‘as is’, without any representation or endorsement made and without warranty of any kind whether express or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of satisfactory quality, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement, compatibility, security and accuracy.
We do not warrant that the functions contained in the material contained in this site will be uninterrupted or error free, that defects will be corrected, or that this site or the server that makes it available are free of viruses or represent the full functionality, accuracy, reliability of the materials.
In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including, without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damages whatsoever arising from use or loss of use of, data or profits arising out of or in connection with the use of dementiaresesearcher.nihr.ac.uk.
Although we may from time to time monitor or review discussions, chat, postings, transmissions, bulletin boards and the like on dementiaresesearcher.nihr.ac.uk, we are under no obligation to do so and assume no responsibility or liability arising from the content of any such locations nor for any error, omission, infringement, defamation, obscenity, or inaccuracy contained in any information within such locations on dementiaresesearcher.nihr.ac.uk.
These terms and conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales. Any dispute arising under these terms and conditions shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
Links to external websites
Links contained in dementiaresesearcher.nihr.ac.uk will lead to other websites which are not under our control. We are not responsible for the content of any linked site. Listing and linking should not be taken as an endorsement of any kind and we accept no liability in respect of the content. We cannot guarantee that these links will work all of the time and have no control over the availability of the linked pages.
We make every effort to check and test material at all stages of production. It is always wise for you to run an anti-virus program on all material downloaded from the Internet.
We cannot accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or your computer system which may occur whilst using material derived from this website.
We may at any time revise these terms and conditions without notice. Please check regularly. Continued use of dementiaresesearcher.nihr.ac.uk after a change has been made is your acceptance of the change.
This website is managed by staff employed at University College London, funded by the National Institute for Health Research. Account information is held securely and managed according to University College London Information Security Policy.
Dementia Research Forum Rules
These online forums are meant as a support group for peer-to-peer discussions, and are not an official channel for the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR), Alzheimer’s Research UK or Alzheimer’s Society. Moderators and Hosts are all volunteers, who are selected and recruited by the Office of the NIHR National Director for Dementia Research.
1. Purpose of the ECR Dementia Forum
- The purpose of this site is to provide a safe forum for people to share experiences and help each other in their role as an Early Career Dementia Research or aspiring researcher.
- The moderators of this site cannot be expected to pre-check the content posted via the discussion system and therefore we make no claims as to the accuracy, integrity, timeliness or quality of such content.
- This site facilitates peer support; it should not be used as a substitute for professional advice. You should consult your supervisor, institution, employer, or other relevant professional, before making any decisions that could affect you or others.
2. Conduct Expected of Users
- Participation in, and use of this site is at the user’s own risk.
- All views and information, whether publicly posted or privately transmitted are individual and not the views, policy or advice of the NIHR. You understand and acknowledge that content is the sole responsibility of the person from which such content originated.
- The naming of organisations and/or their individual staff is prohibited, with the exception of posters who have sought prior permission to do so from the NIHR. In all other circumstances, NIHR aims to remove such references, but has no obligation to do so.
- The use of the message boards for gathering information for surveys, articles and research studies, or similar, is prohibited unless prior permission has been given by NIHR.
- All users under the age of 13 must seek permission from their parent or guardian in order to gain membership of this site. While we welcome participation from members under 13, we require that a parent or guardian mail back a signed permission form before we grant membership.
- You agree not to participate in mischievous or malicious behaviour which causes damage or may cause damage to NIHR, its partners or this site or any of the computer systems on which this site resides.
- By using this site you agree to these terms and conditions. If you do not agree to these terms and conditions NIHR reserves the right to prohibit you from using this site.
3. Postings and Messages
- Content that is posted to this site or otherwise included in its private messaging systems, including your choice of public name or id, must follow these conditions.
- Messages must not be obscene, defamatory or libellous, inflammatory, vulgar, sexually orientated, racial, political, hateful, threatening, in violation of any laws or good morals and practice or personally abusive. You hereby undertake to indemnify and hold harmless NIHR against all costs and expenses from any such actions by you.
- Messages containing personal contact details (full names, email addresses/links, phone numbers or postal addresses) are not allowed except with the prior written consent of NIHR.
- Messages containing personal endorsement of products and services that may be of benefit to our users, may be permitted. Messages, usernames and profile information deemed to contain commercial advertising, and unsolicited messages for the purpose of advertising a product or service, are not permitted on this site.
- Posts raising funds for causes other than dementia related charities may be removed. People wishing to fundraise for causes other than these should consult the forum moderator before posting on this forum.
- Messages advertising items, whether for sale or donation, are not permitted on this site. This includes offers of second-hand equipment. However, laboratories may share information on loan and sharing of services, facilities and equipment.
- Messages must not be excessively repeated intentionally.
- Messages must not infringe or violate another party’s rights (including, but not limited to, copyright and/or intellectual property rights, and rights of privacy and publicity).
- Please do not post medical, legal or financial information in an advisory capacity. NIHR aims to remove such content, but has no obligation to do so.
- Please ensure that any messages or links that you post are relevant to the discussion. Irrelevant content may be removed. NIHR is not responsible for the content of external websites and may remove external links without further notice.
- NIHR may from time to time edit or remove posts that are contrary to these terms and conditions or not constructive to the overall purpose and mission of the ECR Forum.
- You agree to respect the privacy and wishes of those users who you have been privately messaging. You must not pass on details to third parties without permission.
- By sending or receiving a private message you consent to them being viewed by NIHR, where NIHR has been notified of a problem or a breach of these terms and conditions.
- You have the ability to edit posts within 24 hours of publication. After that time, you may contact moderator to request amendments but NIHR is under no automatic obligation to amend posts.
4. Moderation and Banning
- NIHR has the right, but no obligation, to remove, edit, move or close any message or group of messages for any reason.
- NIHR is not obliged to enter into any correspondence regarding the moderation of content on the ECR Dementia forum discussion system.
- NIHR has the right to modify or delete any or all information relating to a user, including closure of that user’s account, without prior notice or reason.
- Any removal or banning of a visitor from anywhere within ECR Dementia Forum is binding and the decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into, nor will forum managers or moderators be obliged to explain such banning.
- Posts discussing moderator actions are not permitted on this forum. Members who wish to take issue with any decision made by a moderator should either contact the moderating team. Posts discussing moderators’ decisions on the ECR Dementia Forum will be removed without notice, and may result in further moderator action.
- In cases of dispute, the decision of the ECR Dementia Forum Manager at NIHR shall be final.
5. Privacy, your Data and Data Protection
- As the ECR Dementia Forum is an online community, when you register you are asked to provide an email address and to choose a username and password. IP addresses are automatically collected with site usage. The aforementioned data is only processed by volunteers and staff on a need to know basis.
- When you use the ECR Dementia Forum, you voluntarily share data which could include personal data. This is viewed by other members. We advise members to take care with the nature of information shared and reserve the right to remove any data that we feel is inappropriate or puts the user at risk.
- Your data is kept in line with the expectation that members can use the service continuously. Members are able to request account closure and data removal by contacting the ECR Dementia Forum Manager privately.
- We do not share any personal information about you, except where you have given permission.
- Cookies are used to assist the functionality of the website only; personal data is not collected via cookies.
- From time to time the NIHR may contact you for administration purposes.
6. Notice of Action and Changes to Terms & Conditions
- Where a breach of these terms and conditions occurs NIHR reserves the right to take such action as it sees fit.
- Any reference to third party organisations, their product/s, service/s or staff does not imply endorsement by NIHR.
- This agreement shall be governed in accordance with the laws of England, Scotland and Wales.
- The terms and conditions of this agreement are subject to change by NIHR at any time. Any user’s usage of this site following changes shall indicate the user’s acceptance of the new agreement.
7. Exclusion of Liability
- NIHR hereby excludes all and any losses, liabilities, claims, damages, expenses or costs (whether as a consequence of its negligence or otherwise) arising in connection with:
- your use or inability to use of the ECR Dementia Forum;
- any unauthorised access to or alterations of information provided by you;
- your use of any third party websites (including without limitation those that may be connected by hyperlink to this site);
- any arrangements entered into with any third party in connection with any information provided by or in connection with this site;
- the inaccuracy, incompleteness or tardiness of any information supplied through the service other than, in each case, any liability in respect of death or personal injury.
- ‘this site’ refers to all ECR Dementia Forum / dementia researcher Internet pages in the ECR Dementia Forum.
- NIHR includes to any person or organisation involved in any part of the design, development, operation, marketing, promotion or other similar aspects of this site.
- ‘user’ and ‘you’ refer to any person viewing or interacting with this site.
- ‘content’ refers to any text, photograph or other image presented on this site to users by either NIHR or users.
- ‘messages’ includes all private messages, posts on the main forum and in social groups, blog entries and user profile listings.
If you have any comments or complaints about the ECR Dementia Forum Talking Point or any of its members, please write to email@example.com
Terms and Conditions of Use: Last updated February 2018