The Advanced Certificate in Caring for People with Dementia will stimulate continuing growth in understanding, an enhanced knowledge base and research awareness and other personal development necessary for the provision of an empathic and effective service. It is tailored to assist healthcare professionals to develop a greater understanding and commitment to ‘person-centred care’. The course aims to promote the continued development within the professional career, of active interest and drive towards evaluating and reflecting upon current practice to inform approaches to care.
The overall aims of the programme are:
- The enhancement of a knowledge and understanding base in relation to the care of individuals with dementia and their carers
- A stimulated interest to review the literature, to network with other professionals and to stay at the forefront of service development
- To assist the healthcare worker to directly provide evidence based care and also to support the network of others involved in the providing of that care.
The curriculum for this course was developed to be as comprehensive as possible and includes:
- Lifespan and development theories of ageing
- Assessment, diagnosis and progression of illness
- Risk assessment and management
- Common (often allied) functional problems such as depression and anxiety
- Outcome indicators of effectiveness – individual and group approaches
- Evaluation monitoring of quality of care – dementia care mapping
- Interventions with family members
- Legal and ethical considerations
- Elder abuse
- Reality orientation
- Reminiscence and life review
- Music therapy
- Dynamic psychotherapy
- Validation therapy
- Occupational therapy
Study Mode: Part time
Duration: One semester
Module Code: NU3311
Start Date: April 2021
Applicants should normally be registered first level nurses, other professionals such as social worker, occupational therapist; physiotherapist may access the course.
A further requirement is that the professional, from whatever background, will be involved directly with the client group at the focus of this certificate.
( https://www.uclan.ac.uk/cpd/courses/caring-for-people-with-dementia-advcert )