- This event has passed.
Getting Ready for Disease Modifying Treatments
23/11/2023 @ 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
If disease modifying therapies for Alzheimer disease are approved and become available in the UK, we know from the joint ARUK-RCPsych survey of members “Are we ready for disease modifying treatments?” this would present significant challenges for how we practise. The survey helped to identify your views about these challenges, and to explore these issues further we will be running a series of four webinars during November.
The 4 webinars are set up as individual events so you can select each event you wish to attend. You will however need to register separately for each webinar you choose.
Thursday 2nd November – Workshop One – Spotlight on the Future
- Welcome from the Faculty Chair – Dr Mani Krishnan
- Current DMTs? – Dr Bob Barber
- Who may be eligable? – Professor Ben Underwood
- Charity & Patient Perspectives – ARUK – Dr Susan Mitchell
Thursday 9th November – Workshop Two – Alzheimer’s Disease & Fluid Biomarkers
- Interpreting CSF biomarkers and future of blook biomarkers – Dr Jon Schott
- Setting up a lumbar puncture service – Dr Ross Dunne
Thursday 23rd November – Workshop Three – Imaging and Safey, focus on aria
- Interpreting and accessing amyloid PET Scans – Professor Kevin Bradley
- Practical experience of delivering monoclonal antibody infusions safely – Dr Brady McFarlane
Thursday 30th November – Workshop Four – Insights from prescribing and delivering a service using monoclonal antibodies
- Insights from Clinical Trials and Neurology – Dr Liz Coulthard
- Monoclonal anitbodies and MS, how services have adapted – Dr Martin Duddy & Gillian Kamara
Speakers & Chairs
- Dr Bob Barber: Old Age Psychiatrist based In Newcastle, with experience as investigator undertaking clinical trials, DeNDRoN Specialty Lead North East / North Cumbria.
- Professor Kevin Bradley: Director of Clinical PET Research at PETIC (Wales Research and Diagnostic Positron Emission Tomography Imaging Centre) in Cardiff and a consultant radiologist and consultant nuclear medicine physician.
- Dr Liz Coulthard: Consultant Senior Lecturer in Dementia Neurology based in Bristol at the North Bristol NHS FT. She has established a cognitive neurology and dementia clinic offering diagnosis and treatment to patients with young onset or complex dementia. She also runs research studies into cognition and dementia.
- Dr Martin Duddy: Consultant Neurologist specializing in multiple sclerosis based in Newcastle at the NUTH NHS FT Neurosciences Centre where he is currently Clinical Director. He is Co-Chair of the UK MS Society’s MS Registers Management Board and remains active in national and international collaborative studies in MS.
- Dr Ross Dunne: Consultant Later Life Psychiatrist, Honorary Senior Lecturer, Geoffrey Jefferson Brain Research Centre, University of Manchester. Clinical Director, GM Dementia Research Centre. GM Dementia Lead, NIHR CRN. Dementia Theme Lead, Health Innovation Manchester.
- Gillian Kamara: Lead Nurse MS services, Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS FT.
- Dr Brady McFarlane: Consultant Old Age Psychiatrist, New Forest West OPMH CMHT Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust, Lymington, Co-director Memory Assessment and Research Centre (MARC) Moorgreen Hospital, Southampton.
- Dr Susan Mitchell: Head of Policy at Alzheimer’s Research UK, as part of the policy and public affairs team at the UK’s leading dementia research charity, with responsibility for developing evidence-based policy to ensure people affected by dementia benefit from the progress in research.
- Professor Jon Schott: Professor of Neurology, UCL Queen Square Institute of Neurology and Chief Medical Office to Alzheimer’s Research UK.
- Professor Ben Underwood: Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry, University of Cambridge; Honorary Consultant Psychiatrist, CPFT, R&D Director, CPFT, Clinical Director, Gnodde Goldman Sachs Translational Neuroscience Unit and Windsor Research Unit, Dementia Clinical Lead for CRN Eastern.
Workshop chairs from Old Age Psychiatry Faculty:
- Dr Mani Krishnan – Chair of Faculty
- Dr Josie Jenkinson – Vice Chair of Faculty
- Dr Chineze Ivenso
- Dr Rashi Negi
- Dr Viviek Pattan