In 2008, the Alzheimer’s Association opened a new door to support the dementia research community by creating the International Society to Advance Alzheimer’s Research and Treatment (ISTAART). Today’s researchers join ISTAART to strengthen their scientific knowledge and network with their peers. Members enjoy exclusive benefits, participate in networking events and collaborate on papers and projects with fellow peers through participation in a Professional Interest Area (PIA).
The Association recognizes that the future of Alzheimer’s research relies on students and those starting their careers in the field. ISTAART provides opportunities for networking, financial support opportunities to attend the Alzheimer’s Association International Conference and mentorship – and to further help and support students ISTAART has announced a new pricing stucture from 1st April 2022.
If you have let your membership lapse or not got around to joining, this is a great time to get involved – with revised new, inexpensive or free memberships
ISTAART Student Membership – Student members must be enrolled full-time in undergraduate or graduate programs at degree-granting institutions. Students must indicate expected date of graduation. Proof of status may be requested
ISTAART Postdoctoral Membership – Individuals who have obtained their doctoral degree and are currently working in a postdoctoral trainee program. Includes postdoctoral researcher, postdoctoral research fellow, postdoctoral research associate, postdoctoral research assistant, and medical residents and fellows. Members with a primary address in a low, lower-middle or upper-middle economy (as classified by the World Bank) can join ISTAART at no cost. Reductions will be reflected at checkout.
$65.00 (Free for Researchers working in LMIC / UMIC)
ISTAART Professional Membership – Professional membership is for scientists, physicians and other professionals involved in the causes and treatments of Alzheimer’s disease and related disorders. Members with a primary address in a low, lower-middle or upper-middle economy (as classified by the World Bank) can join ISTAART at no cost. Reductions will be reflected at checkout.
$125.00 (Free for Researchers working in LMIC / UMIC)
- Professional Interest Areas (PIAs) – groups of members with common subspecialties. Over 25 PIAs share research, author papers and provide forums for networking. PIAs are included at no extra cost to membership.
- Webinars on developing topics in the field and career advancement resources.
- Membership directory, which includes the ability to add and search for contact details, upload a photo and link your social media pages.
- Grant and funding announcements through the Alzheimer’s Association International Research Grant Program.
- ISTAART Career Center which includes a member-only coupon code to post a job at no charge ($299 value).
- Member e-newsletter featuring the latest developments in Alzheimer’s research, as well as career and funding opportunities.
- Member networking forums, including Twitter and LinkedIn.
- [Students] Gain leadership opportunities by joining a PIA. PIAs offer mentorship and career guidance.
- [Students] Receive grant application notices, including special opportunities for postdocs, residents and other early career researchers.
- [Students] Explore the ISTAART Career Center, featuring job postings (including postdoctoral positions), a resume bank and other resources.
- Online subscription to Alzheimer’s & Dementia: The Journal of the Alzheimer’s Association, a scientific journal devoted entirely to Alzheimer’s & dementia.
- Up to fifty percent off author fees in the following journals:
- Discounts on AAIC registration.
- Extended abstract submission deadline.
- Early access to online registration and preferred hotels.
- Admission to PIA Month – a full month of scientific sessions and business meetings organized by PIA leaders.
- Eligibility for award programs and the ability to nominate speakers, abstract reviewers and award recipients.
- Special access to member-only receptions and business meetings.
- [Students] Apply for the ISTAART Student Volunteer Program, offering selected undergraduate and graduate students full conference registration, round-trip airfare and hotel.
- [Postdocs] Apply for the ISTAART Postdoctoral Virtual Volunteer Program, offering selected postdoc members conference registration, complimentary membership and the opportunity to network and engage virtual attendees on a local level.
- [Students] Focused events, including: Early Career Mentoring Breakfast, Early Career Networking Reception, poster competitions and a student and postdoc lounge with “Meet the Experts” talks.
- [Students] Skill-building workshops on topics including: resumes, grant writing, funding opportunities and manuscript writing tips.
After you register, you’re invited to select which Professional Interets Areas you would like to join (note you can join as many as you like). If you’re an Early Career Researcher we would encourage you to join the PIA to Elevate Early Career Researchers (PEERS) #ECRPIA. PEERS aims to:
- Support early career researchers from across the world, to help them develop and progress within the field.
- Understand and bring attention to career challenges faced by early career researchers.
- Develop a dynamic network with funders and organizations to create institutional changes to support ECRs in order to retain them within the dementia field.
- Develop solutions, and campaigns that will attract top researchers to dementia science.
The mission of the ECR PIA is to establish and maintain an interactive global network to foster, develop and support early career Alzheimer’s and dementia scientists in every corner of the world. Developed by early career researchers, and involving senior people to draw on their experience in mentoring and understanding how systems can be improved. As part of this work PEERS has working groups in each continent, which support this international partnership to work locally, supporting local issues, delivering training and workshops and following its own objectives to deliver against the overall aims of PEERS in your area.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.